I’ve been meeting weekly for the past few months with about a dozen gals from churches all over NYC for Bible study. We gather in Jamie/Hannah/LindsayAnn/Emily's Upper West Side apartment for a healthy dose of chat and reflection, some rushing straight from work, some bringing a TV dinner to eat while watching the video teaching and some vegging out on the floor in gym clothes. Here's a little of what I've learned so far.
1. Beth Moore is one of my favorite people in the whole world. I did her Esther study and am now in the middle of her teaching (with Priscilla Shirer and Kay Arthur) on the life of David, and I've just absorbed so much about being a Christian lady from her... and I've also developed a new, very odd attraction to bedazzled clothing.
Beth Moore's Esther, Web Promo from LifeWay on Vimeo.
2. Jamie is more domestic than she lets on. Southern Caviar blows my mind.
3. Esther has always been my favorite book of the Bible, ever since my teacher read it to my 2nd grade class. After studying it again with Beth and the gals, it’s clear to me I only understood the very basic surface of the story. There’s a whole lotta craziness in that book. Like...
4. Queen Esther was basically the first Bachelor winner in the history of the world. King Xerxes searched far and wide for a hot new wife and in the final rose ceremony, he chose beautiful Esther. To my knowledge, there were no helicopter rides or zip-lining excursions mentioned in the original Hebrew text. There was, however, a fantasy suite.
5. Locating chiastic structure on a bumper sticker is strangely satisfying.
6. Deliberating over which Disney Princess has the best hairstyle can take up to 15 minutes.
Who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?
8. Dear One/Beloved is a perfectly acceptable way to start any communique.
Example: Beloved Landlord, please turn the water back on in my apartment. If I wanted to feel like I was camping, I'm sure I could sleep out on the street for far less rent. I love you and I'm praying for you, Dear One!
9. I'm always bummed when I have to miss a gathering with the gals due to work travel. I especially regretted missing the night Danielle made Hamentashen cookies... garnished with Viactiv chews. That's inventive.
July 2021 Highlights: The Highs + Lows
19 hours ago